Thursday, June 15, 2006

Success Secrets

One question that I have frequently been asked on application forms is to describe my proudest achievement. I find this to be rather sad because I would not dare to mention any of those in my personal top three to a potential employer. For the record, they are listed below:

1) accepting my autism and pushing on with life regardless
2) overcoming my clinical depression
3) fighting for my rights when faced with disability discrimination

The particularly ridiculous thing about 3) is that, for various reasons which also must not be disclosed, I can't even discuss it very much on here (so much for free speech). When I mentioned it on an online application, it was "accidentally" erased. When I resubmitted it, the employer declined to interview me despite being a member of the "Two Ticks" scheme, requiring them to interview disabled applicants meeting the minimum criteria. I won't be making that mistake again.

And who was this organisation? Which right-wing pit of conservatism and intolerance would have the nerve and the sheer arrogance to do that? In fact, believe it or not, it was the Guardian newspaper.

3 Comments:

At 8:09 pm, Blogger kimananda said...

Presumably the Guardian doesn't have to live up to it's image, as long as it doesn't do anything too obvious to change that image. Have you considered applying for a job at the Sun? ;-)

 
At 5:33 pm, Blogger The Goldfish said...

Hmm, the Guardian did publish this lovely article the other day. :-(

 
At 1:40 pm, Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Oh dear.

Since I'm from the US, I'm not familiar with the "Two Ticks" scheme, but I'm guessing it's similar to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Too bad about the Guardian. What a loss for them.

I really enjoy your writings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home