Friday, June 02, 2006

Our Misfortune

And another thing. It should be bad enough that Jo Whiley has introduced a feature on her radio show called 'Changing Tracks', uncannily similar to the vomitfest known as 'Our Tune' inflicted by Simon Bates a few years ago. However, to make matters worse, today's listener picked an entirely inappropriate track to mourn the death of her sister - 'One' by U2. It's a great song but surely she realises that it expresses anything but affection. This phenomenon also occurs when people choose 'Song for Whoever' by the Beautiful South, a brilliantly cynical anti-love song, in those truly horrid love dedication spots - I've heard played at least twice. In this case, it is possible that the requesters know what they are doing and are just being cruel, but I think it is unlikely. Listen to the lyrics, people!

2 Comments:

At 12:25 am, Blogger kimananda said...

I always think of 'Every Breath you Take', which is seen as such a great love song, but which was written by Sting during his breakup from his wife, and from how he apparently describes it, it's basically a song about stalking.

 
At 1:39 pm, Blogger Attila the Mom said...

Kimananda---I forgot about that one! You're right. Very creepy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home