Opening Soon - My Soul
It's happening again. I've resolved on numerous occasions to talk more about myself and my feelings, as well as my thoughts about the world at large, and yet, since it restarted last month, my blog has largely retained the same sarcastic tone. There has been some good analysis, if I do say so myself, but very little of a personal nature. I don't know how other people feel about this but I know that I would be annoyed with such an approach if I saw it on someone else's blog.
In the past, I have had plenty of excuses for not opening up. I have been bound to silence about certain important happenings in my life and, frankly, there has not always been a great deal else going on that I have felt would be of much interest. Also, I do not want to present my thesis to the world on "My Life as an Autistic Person - What it is Like to be Me". However, I do want to give some non-generalisable sense of the unique individual that I am, and there have been recent events which provide some insight and are not bound by the Unofficial Secrets Act. So, why am I still so reluctant to talk about them?
I have always considered blogs, like columns in Sunday newspapers, to be somewhat self-indulgent. Why should anyone be interested in the personal life of a third-rate hack? The genre was brilliantly satirised by Chris Morris, writing in the Observer as Richard Geefe, a man who had decided to commit suicide and wanted to relate in great detail the impact of his decision. However, now that I am about to have more time on my hands, I suppose I can afford to be a little more self-indulgent, hopefully without going to such extremes.
On Saturday, I finally make my debut for my new korfball club, having abandoned my old one after four and a half years. This will give me an opportunity to discuss the reasons for my defection, and what they say about my attitudes to self-improvement, commitment and relationships. I will try to get my thoughts in order over the next few days and then I promise I will do so on Sunday. I can't back out now.
2 Comments:
I'll be waiting! Well, o.k., I'll be finishing up my paper (I believe that I've worked in a Chomsky reference, and I get to quote from the Library of Babel, so all is well with the universe)...but then I'll camp out here until you post something!
And, for what it's worth, I like your other snarkier style as well. The advantage of the personal though is that there's normally more to say as a commenter.
Can't wait to read it!
I too enjoy your sarcasm style.
But you're going to have to explain what "korfball" is. ;-)
Post a Comment
<< Home