Sunday, August 07, 2005

Learning the law

I've spent the week attending a Summer School at the BPP Law School in London. I love weeks like this because they always include all the fun parts of academic study, such as lectures, discussions and social activities, and none of the hard parts, like writing essays. Even those areas of law that I expected not to find interesting, such as libel and privacy, were fascinating. I can now tell you everything you want to know, and more, about David Beckham's forthcoming action against the News of the World.

I will be signing up for a part-time graduate diploma and I am now seriously considering law as a career. As regular readers of this blog will know, I am very passionate about issues of equality and human rights and this seems to be an opportunity to express this side of myself, in a way that also taps into my very logical and analytical mindset. Ideally, of course, I would prefer to be working with companies to help them to improve their policies but, unfortunately, in the real world, they spend a lot of time getting advice about how to avoid their responsibilities. Sadly then, the confrontational approach is often necessary. I'm not going to change the world, but if I can shift the balance slightly more in favour of disabled people, and other minorities, then I will be able to make an important difference.

It seems very odd to be making decisions about my career at the age of thirty. This will not be my first conversion degree either, having already done one in psychology. It seems to take longer these days for people to find their niche and, with employers doing less and less to support their employees, the situation is even more difficult for disabled people. Nevertheless, I am old-fashioned enough that the idea of a long-term career does appeal to me and so I hope that I have finally found a sense of direction.

1 Comments:

At 4:42 am, Blogger kimananda said...

Hiya,

Sounds like you had a fun week. As I have not been keeping up with the latest Beckham news...I hereby request a post on everything I wanted to know, and more, about his forthcoming action against the News of the World!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home