More bad journalism
To the untrained eye, this story in Monday's Guardian no doubt seems innocuous or even positive. So why does it really annoy me? There has been some discussion on the Ouch! messageboard about its offensive language and the patronising tone - this is spot on, but there is more to it than that for me. It's the sinister cheeriness of the story, as though it is supposed to give people hope. i.e. "Don't worry that your local supermarket won't employ you in case you scare away the customers - why not start your own business and make your millions that way instead?" It somehow manages to both express surprise at Liz Jackson's success while, at the same time, denying the discriminatory barriers that virtually all other disabled people experience in the workplace. The implication is that equality laws are not really necessary as long as you are made of the "right stuff."
3 Comments:
This made my skin crawl. To be honest, the article about Prof. Pillinger wound me up enough, all about his "battle" with MS and his "losing neither his sense of fun or fire."
But this has to be one of the worst disablist articles I have read this year. The language is all wrong, "wheelchair-bound" etc, and the ethos is, just as you say - patronising to these two women as well as suggesting that almost anything is possible.
I don't know if you remember a few months ago, following articles in the Times about special education, some of us Ouchers decided to create an organisation to tackle this, collecting such articles and other incidents of patronising content, offensive language and so on. This organisation remains in its infancy but it is moving forward slowly and if you'd like to be involved do drop me a line.
Funnily enough, James, I have been talking about the use of language on my blog too.I listened to a Radio 4 Programme which told of an American wheelchair being given an offensive title and they were talking about the wheelchair's name, whether it was offensive or a word disabled people could reclaim back for themselves. The programme was You and Yours. Mik Scarlet was on too, and I missed it!!! Bah! I reckon I am joining Goldfish's organisation, are you?
Katie, I'd definitely like to join this organisation. It sounds great. Sign me up, Goldfish!
Post a Comment
<< Home