Lies, damned lies etc.
It's such a stereotype that people with autism have obsessions about certain subjects. At social events for autistic people, I am often asked to name my 'special interest'. I find it very hard to answer because I am interested in a wide variety of things, although I do bring my fact-finding ability and ruthless attention to detail to bear on all of them. As a teenager, I spent a great deal of time on my hobby of compiling sports statistics and, this Wimbledon, I experienced a brief revival of the craze. I decided to determine the most successful players, male and female, at the Championships since 1968, when professionals were allowed to take part for the first time.
In case you are interested, I have decided to add a social dimension to this effort by publishing the results on this blog. The tables have been compiled based on the ranking systems currently used in men's and women's tennis. The top twenty male players at Wimbledon are:
1) Jimmy Connors
2) Pete Sampras
3) Boris Becker
4) John McEnroe
5) Bjorn Borg
6) Stefan Edberg
7) Goran Ivanisevic
8) Ivan Lendl
9) Andre Agassi
10) John Newcombe
11) Roger Federer
12) Stan Smith
13) Tim Henman
14) Roscoe Tanner
15) Ilie Nastase
16) Rod Laver
17) Patrick Rafter
18) Pat Cash
19) Arthur Ashe
20) Richard Krajicek
It's rather a surprise that Jimmy Connors finishes top of the list, as he only has two victories, compared to seven by Pete Sampras. However, he reached six finals and got to the semi-finals a staggering eleven times. Similarly, Tim Henman finishes remarkably high at unlucky thirteen, by virtue of an impressive four semi-final appearances. Here are the top twenty women:
1) Martina Navratilova
2) Chris Evert
3) Steffi Graf
4) Billie Jean King
5) Evonne Goolagong
6) Venus Williams
7) Lindsay Davenport
8) Virgina Wade
9) Jana Novotna
10) Serena Williams
11) Margaret Court
12) Gabriela Sabatini
13) Arantxa Sanchez Vicario
14) Conchita Martinez
15) Rosie Casals
16) Pam Shriver
17) Hana Mandlikova
18) Zina Garrison
19) Nathalie Tauziat
20) Jennifer Capriati
There are fewer shocks here but, if you are wondering why Martina Hingis is not listed, it is because she played in only seven Wimbledons, and lost in the first round of three of them.
I have now moved onto a new obsession, online poker, not for money fortunately, because I am not very good. Still, I am the sort of person who can get addicted to gambling, even when playing with monopoly money, so I had better be a little bit careful.
3 Comments:
Hi james, I didn't know you were into tennis? it's good to be interested in a subject like that isn't it because you can interest others in to it as well by showing your knoweledge of a subject. I know a lot about disability issues and can recall scenes from BBC Comedy and others from DVD'S that I own.
I think that, if I were American, I would be a big baseball fan. As it is, the only matches I see are when I stay up late to watch the world series. Sorry.
Great lists. But I would disagree with your ranking of Hana Mandlikova. Of the 4 slams, Hana's record at Wimbledon is her weakest. I'm sure you ranked her low because she failed to meet her seeding in 1982, 1983, 1985, and 1988. But she was still a 2 time finalist. And she defeated both Chris and Martina on Center Court.
Aranxta and Gaby might have been more consistent. And Aranxta was also a 2 time finalist. But neither had the kind of wins that Hana did over top players. Pam wasn't as consistent as Aranxta or Gaby. And she did have the win over Tracy in 1981. But still, her record is not as good as Hana's.
If I had to pick which set of accomplishments to take of those 4 players, I would choose Hana's. Despite the lows, her highs easily surpass the others.
Just my opinion though.
Post a Comment
<< Home