Sunday, July 31, 2005

The leg that dare not speak its name

I've had a rather curious week, disability-wise, in that I managed to pull a muscle in my leg in Cambridge last week and so I have been walking around with a limp most of the time. Don't worry - I'm not going to claim that this gave me an insight into what it is like to be physically impaired, but I was rather interested in people's reactions, or rather the lack of them.

I wouldn't call myself a social genius or anything but I'm pretty sure that it is customary, when someone starts limping, to ask about the cause of the injury. However, this has only happened to me twice in the entire week. On the second occasion, I was so surprised that it took me three attempts before I understood what the person was saying. I can think of a few possibilities:

1) Perhaps no-one noticed anything unusual because I walk around weirdly all of the time. This possibility is not as bizarre as it may seem. I have often thought that I may have dyspraxia, not just because I am clumsy, but because I have considerable difficulty with muscle co-ordination. Therefore, maybe it looks like I am limping even when I haven't had an injury.

2) A related but slightly different option is that my work colleagues feel that they should not mention it because it may relate in some way to the fact that I am disabled. Because I have a cognitive impairment, which is an equally taboo topic of conversation, my limp may be regarded as something that is best avoided, although presumably it would not be for others.

3) Finally, perhaps I have broken some code of behaviour by going into work at all with a limp. After all, I've no doubt that most people would cry off ill in the same situation. I've read that disabled people take less sick leave than their colleagues, either because they are just less wimpy or they want to make the point that impairment should not be a barrier to work.

On the other hand, there is a very real possibility that I am simply experiencing disability paranoia. It was certainly buzzing like mad on Thursday morning when I was stopped and searched by the police. With my Southern European looks, maybe they thought I was Bosnian. I'm sure my gammy leg didn't make me look that much like a sinister Hollywood villain. Crazy? You decide.

5 Comments:

At 5:13 pm, Blogger kimananda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:13 pm, Blogger kimananda said...

Well, having seen you walk, I would rule out your first hypothesis. I would also add a fourth hypothesis, which is that the people around you (with two exceptions) are just not observant enough to notice that you have aquired a limp. Its the same when someone gets a new haircut, and waits for others to notice...and waits...and waits. Gimpy Mumpy's hypothesis, that people don't want to ask because they are respecting your privacy, is also a good one.

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger James Medhurst said...

I'm sure you are both right. Although more people did notice my very short haircut! Maybe it was so startling that people looked at that rather than my leg.

 
At 11:12 pm, Blogger Nicola said...

what is it with injuries this month? i wrote about my physip session on my blog but i fear i've scared people with my hair refferences

hey, i wouldn't worry about it, personally i won't ask, unless you were a close mate and it was lighthearted, for fear of being nosey.

whether that's because i'm disabled and hate it when it happens to me or because thats what people do, i don't know, i'm not one for knowing what people do!

oh yeah, dunno who's with me on this but the one and only time i am fine with - indeed happy - to be asked questions is when it's by another disabled person or a parent, i was at glastonbury and this woman asked about disabled access cos she wanted to bring her son next year, that made me feel great, not in a good deedy way, in a i've shared something that'll make others feel great too way.

 
At 12:36 am, Blogger Katie said...

I am with you Turtle and you James on this issue.As I wrote on Turtle's blog, Physiotherapy can leave you feeling uncomfortable and they can sometimes be a bit patronising as they were to me,It left me with a slight limp though, but we can all experience the wrath of physio can't we us disabled types?
Don't worry about the disability paranoia James, we all have experienced that in some time of our lives.
Keep smiling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home