The white box
I got an iPod for my birthday and I love it. I particularly enjoy getting my revenge on the tube passengers of London by listening to it on my way to work. I am also in awe of the technology and I can't quite believe that my entire music collection can be stored in such a small space so quickly and easily. It reminds me of when I saw a ZX81 computer for the first time at the age of seven. Still, this concerns me. Am I slowly but surely drifting into being an autistic stereotype, wanting to take machines apart and put them together again? Am I giving that impression by posting this message? I hope you can see why I don't want to give too much away about myself.
1 Comments:
Naw, not a stereotype at all! Unless, of course, I too have Asperger's and just didn't realise it. In that case we're both stereotypes together!!
I got my girlfriend an iPod a few weeks ago. I could just sit there for ages rubbing my finger round that round dial thing and making the volume go up and down. Wow. I almost bought one for myself despite the fact that the menus are hideously inaccessible to a visually impaired person like myself, ditto iTunes. I just wanted one to carry around. I'm working on a solution for a cool accessible MP3/music player of some kind though ... s'just a shame that iPods have all that nice podcasting technology built in too. I see a future for podcasting.
Also I really regret giving my ZX81 away to a friend in the early 90s. It'd look great mounted on my wal ... plus the 16k RAM pack that went with it ;) 16 kilobytes of real processing power in that pack! Oh the hours I'd spend tapping programs in to that thing from Sinclair Programmer magazine. I had a version of Frogger once that I tapped in and it didn't work, just hung with a grey pixcelly screen when I tapped in 'run'. Ha, you had to type 'run' back in those days. Love it!
Have just finished reading a history of hacking book. And have half read Kevin Mitnick's book too. Fascinating stuff.
Post a Comment
<< Home