Friday, June 24, 2005

Behold the puppetmaster!

The worst books about autism are always those written by parents who claim to have cured their autistic children. The treatment of choice always has three features - it fails all rigorous scientific testing, it is incredibly time-consuming and expensive, and it is extremely arduous for the child concerned. The reality is that development is often uneven in autism and many children appear to have reduced symptoms over time without any intervention at all.

I have recently come across a particularly bad example of this sort of book. It has all the usual offensive features, including effusive reviews by other Autism Mommies, but it has a special lack of charm all of its own, in the form of a tasteless metaphor based on the story of Pinocchio. The author claims that her son is now a 'real boy', like the puppet at the end of the fairy tale, rather than being autistic. I would like to reassure my readers that I am not made of wood and that I am not controlled by strings - nor do I have any friendship bonds with crickets. However, as I rack my brains for anything positive to say about this apalling piece of literature, I am concerned that if I attempted to do so, that my nose would grow to such a length that I would be unable to see the screen.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 am, Blogger The Goldfish said...

Strangely enough, I heard a radio play a few months ago about a family including an autistic child and they used Pinnochio as a metaphor, but quite differently.

The lad in the play was totally obsessed with Pinnochio and wanted to watch it all the time - putting the video in when others were watching telly, late at night etc.

The metaphor however was the exact same metaphor in Pinnochio if people read it properly.

Pinnochio thought he was a puppet, but from the moment he had a voice, feelings, anima etc, he had the essential qualities of being a human being. That's what the story means; being a person is not all about having fresh and blood (for which you can read any quality which we may feel you need to be 'normal').

So the conclusion of the play was that this autistic lad had been a real boy all along - just the way he was. A much more positive and frankly more accurate use of that particular story.

I'm sorry you have to read this crap, James (the book that is - oh and my comments!).

 
At 12:41 am, Blogger James Medhurst said...

Thanks goldfish. I much prefer your version of the story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home